Wednesday 13 January 2016

My Top 5 Study Tips For Success

Today is a snow day, which once upon time when I was little girl meant watching Hannah Montana and What Not Wear all day. Sadly snow days aren't really the same anymore, I no longer get to do nothing all day because I have studying todo. I thought there was no better day to make a blog post about my own study tips, ironically as a myself am procrastinating studying. I am usually really good at studying, being productive, and not procrastinating but that is just what snow days do to me. Okay now I am officially making excuses so I don't feel bad about myself, oops. On a side note days like today where the snow looks so beautiful and fluffy (and I don't have to leave my bed, okay house until I go to the gym tonight), are the reason why I never want to move somewhere worm. Yes I love the heat (and hate being cold) but I could never move somewhere that it doesn't snow.

1. Flash Cards
This may seem either completely dumb to some people and completely obvious to others but trust me this is the only reason I do as well as I do on test, other than math (math needs an whole other blogpost because you study completely different for that subject from all the other subjects IMO). But with flash cards you are re-writing information which causes the memory to be stronger and flash cards are like little test to yourself.

2. Analogies 
When studying make analogies that are easier for you to understand. An example of this would be for the periodic table to remember the main families. The Noble Gases are the most popular people at your school and everyone wants to be like them, they will do anything to be like the. Halogen Gases are so close to being popular it is almost heartbreaking and they are so desperate to become popular they will hangout (bond) with the Alkali Metals that tried too hard to be popular that no one even looks at them. Once they bond they are popular like the Noble Gases, maybe not as popular because the NG's are the originals but you get the point. Analogies work for any test, compare history to something you get, cells to your house, the list goes on and on.

3. Make A Practice Test
When studying you can so often get so caught up in remembering definitions we forget there is more to a test, and while flash cards are great sometimes a practice test is better. I recommend getting together with at least one friend to do this one so you don't know the answers to the test. This is a good idea because a) you are writing once again and b) you get a feel for how you would do in a test environment and c) a better understanding of how much you really you know the topic.

4. Diagrams
If you have a class (usually science) where you need to know where certain things are located (parts of a cell, the heart, brain, etc) or how to draw something (lewis dots, bohr diagrams, etc.) make sure you are practicing them because they will most likely be on the test to throw you off and are wroth a lot of points. Make sure you have a very good understanding of where things are located or how to draw something (I don't think you will be drawing in a anatomy class but that might depend on your teacher).

5. Ask Questions
If you ever don't understand something rather it is in class or once you get home and are studying, even if you were taught it 3 months ago ASK YOUR TEACHER! You are never going to be made fun of for asking a question, if you think you will be arrange to go in after school when it will be just you too. Chances are if you don't get it will be on the test and do you really want to fail (or do poorly) on a test because you were too afraid to ask some question? No, no you don't, so just ask if you are EVER the slightest bit confused.

Now it is time for me to study.

Stay Beautiful, Stay You
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment